Job Title: Engagement Manager
Salary Range: Competitive with top-tier consultancies
Pearson Ham are a specialist pricing consultancy. We enable clients to improve their financial performance by finding and unlocking value through better pricing. We work across all market sectors and are regarded as the trusted experts in this field.
Pricing is a key pillar of business strategy; it can be the quickest way to create or destroy value. Therefore, getting the price strategy right is essential to the performance of any business.
Our team are experts in pricing, strategy and analytics. Their skills have been enriched in many different market sectors, giving us the ability to cross-pollinate ideas and evolve our methodologies. It is this specialism in pricing that gives us a depth of knowledge that sets us apart from our industry peers. The clients we work with, have all had success increasing their margins by 2-5%.
We take the view that pricing is not a perfect science. Our approach is insight-led and influenced by each client’s industry, market and customers. We use a wide range of different and innovative techniques and leverage the diverse backgrounds of the team to produce robust results and actionable insights for our clients. We provide rigour and clarity which enables us to develop tailored, innovative pricing solutions.
Key to our success is our strongly collaborative style. We listen to our clients and work closely with them to blend their market experience with our analytics to inform and guide their decision-making.
Our clients tell us that one of the differences in working with Pearson Ham is that our consultants are happy to ask the difficult questions others may not want to ask. This approach enables us to get to the root of the issues. We genuinely care about helping our clients optimise profits, revenues and market performance. Ultimately it is their success that drives us.
Pearson Ham is at an exciting stage in its development. With very rapid growth over the last five years and further plans to scale and develop, our focus is on driving innovation and quality in order to deliver even greater value for our clients.
You will not only contribute to developing commercial strategies that will have real impact on businesses all around the world, but you will also be able to participate in helping us build a high-performance consultancy as we continue to grow, both in size and in capability.
As an Engagement Manager, you will act as a trusted internal and external pricing expert working closely with clients to deliver complex and challenging pricing projects. You will have a strong analytical mindset and be the go-to person for the problem-solving process and day to day management of the engagement team.
As a learning organisation, we actively encourage you to develop your pricing specialisms and disseminate your experience throughout the team, and so a key element to this role is coaching the junior members of the team.
Each client is unique and requires a personal and collaborative approach – reflective of our company values of how we work. As such, we are looking for someone who can think laterally and take a pro-active approach to develop alternative solutions that practically overcome project challenges.
• Own and manage client projects, to a plan and to timescales, in order to achieve a successful outcome for the client
• Lead the problem-solving process and day-to-day management of the engagement team, including scoping and defining issues, developing hypotheses, overseeing the team’s analysis to validate hypotheses, designing analytical tools, formulating deliverables for clients
• Act as a trusted internal and external pricing expert, covering areas such as price strategy, product-price proposition design, competitor analysis, pricing architecture, and tactical elements of pricing such as price communication, discounting and promotions and organisational pricing capability
• Guide engagement team to create sophisticated, compelling communications that motivate clients to action and present at senior level
• Manage uncertainty – guide the team through dynamic, fast-changing and information-sparse situations
• Contribute to the development of innovative approaches, including differentiated points of view and methodologies
• Participate in growing Pearson Ham Consulting by supporting recruitment, training and cultural development activities
• Take responsibility for management of one or more major company development areas (e.g. Recruitment, IT, Analytics, Culture, etc.)
• Mentor and coach junior staff within the project context to help them grow and perform at a level that will challenge them professionally
• Line management of up to 4 Analyst and Senior Consultant reports; manage their development plans and growth opportunities
• Account management – with the assistance of company leaders, manage client relationships to identify and progress sales opportunities
• Proposals – support the Pearson Ham Consulting leadership team members in driving proposal development
• Network – develop a professional network and maintain relationships with clients
• c. 5 + years’ relevant experience in a pricing role, which must include some time in a consulting role
• Undergraduate degree in a numerate subject from a leading university for e.g. but not limited to, engineering, maths, operational research, economics
• Track record of successful project delivery and client management; excellent organisational and time management skills; attention to detail
• Strong people leader, adept at managing team’s work while developing colleagues’ capabilities
• Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
• Exceptional client facing and interpersonal skills – able to build and maintain strong client relationships
• Strong written and verbal communication skills – with particular focus on effective storytelling and logical presentation and able to share insights in a way that motivates clients to action
• Strong core process skills, including meeting and workshop development and management, deck writing, storyboarding, logical and structured reasoning, client interviewing, problem solving, data analysis, process design, and change management
• Advanced skills in PowerPoint Excel and data analytics
• R, SQL, statistical packages and Tableau an advantage
• Foreign language skills an advantage
• Affinity with our values: collaboration, care, inquisitiveness and enjoyment
• Naturally inquisitive, has a passion for problem solving and helping deliver client solutions
• Open, honest communication with the ability to ask the difficult questions
• Enjoys coaching and mentoring
• Collaborative working style and approach